First Thoughts on the Role of the Editor (before textbook)

While teaching English has always been my goal, the idea of working in the publishing industry and, to a greater extent, the idea of working as an editor has become more of an interest to me. Yet, I know very little about the publishing and editing world. It is this lack of knowledge and experience that led me to a course called: "Professional Communication: Copyediting." Within the course I will learn proper editing terms and how to properly edit technical prose. This course asks me to write a blog, this blog.  Here I will explore the role of the editor.

However before I even start reading the textbook or go any further into the course, it's important for me to establish what I initially believe the role of the editor is and what copyediting is. 

The Role of the Editor:
      Once an article or novel has been written, it is sent to an editor. It is the editor's role to make the author's raw product ready for the work's audience. The editor checks the work's grammar, mechanics, coherence, consistency, and content. He or she corrects any problems in any of these areas. Essentially, we have the editor to thank for our books. Without him or her, we would not have the coherent and, ideally, grammatically or mechanically correct works of literature that we have. Thus, the role of the editor is an immense one.

Once I receive the textbook and explore into copyediting more within the next week or two, I know my notions of editors and editing will change. Of course, as I learn and immerse myself into the world of editing I will post more about this.


Signed,
An editing student

Comments

Popular Posts