Style and Shortcuts

   This week was dubbed "Style in Context." I learned about different Abbreviations, Acronyms, Symbols as well as Style Guides (AP, APA, MLA, and Chicago). While I pretty much already knew about abbreviations and acronyms, some of the symbols were ones that I hardly knew anything about. Some aren't even on my keyboard like the Euro glyph, section sign, or dagger. I remember seeing them in some articles, but not in many. So, it's good that I know more about them, but I do not foresee myself encountering them much.
    Concerning Style Guides, I am proficient at MLA, but not so much with the others. I use MLA every time I submit an essay. Even when my history professors allow me to use MLA. Thus I have not needed to know any other style. However, learning about them made me realize that the other styles are just as important to study. I need to know AP for most newspapers and magazines; APA for anything written in the social sciences; and, Chicago for most other humanities. It all depends on what area of writing one is editing. For one area the editor needs to know AP and for another APA. Each highlights certain aspects that are more important. Why put the author first when the date is necessary in history? Conversely, why put the date first when the author is more important in literature? It all hinges on what the topic and area is. So, I think a good editor should have a basic understanding of all styles, with a solid understanding of the style her or she will use most.

Sincerely,
An MLA-Kind-Of-Girl

Comments

Popular Posts