Documentation Styles and Prezi(?)

As both a typical American student who went to a typical high school and a just-scrapping-by English student, MLA style is what I know. It's the only style that I know. Even when I took history courses and all the history majors wrote in Chicago, the professor allowed me to submit my papers in MLA. Thus, this week's excursion into the other styles was definitely eyeopening. For instance, I learned which areas primarily used in-text citations versus footnotes and endnotes. However, the textbook claimed that MLA tended more towards footnotes and endnotes, but from what I saw on Purdue OWL, Chicago primarily used them. Instead, Purdue OWL claimed that MLA was more in-text based but did include footnotes and endnotes when the author felt they might be preferred.
Personally, I'm not a fan of them, but it doesn't exactly matter how I feel about them. Correction, it does matter because it means that I will rarely use them myself. It may also mean that as a copyeditor I may not inclined towards them and maybe (or maybe not) it will affect how I edit. Suffice to say,I may need to brush up even more about these styles and become more accustomed to each (footnotes and all).
Prezi. Up until this semester I have never used Prezi. Now I have to create one for two of my classes. The one for this class is about one of the topics from Module 2. Obviously I did Bias-Free Language because it was the topic I understood and clicked with the most. It's the one I felt was the most relevant to everyone. Having bias-free language is important in all forms of writing and speaking. Unless you are trying to make a statement, you should use bias-free language. Thus, not only should an editor remain updated on this, but everyone should.

'Til next time,
Currently Chaucer-Stressed Student

Comments

Popular Posts