"Front and Back Matter" or "The Bits of the Book That I Hate Editing"

The author describes the first few pages of a book the "front matter" and the back sections as the "back matter." These are the pages that have copyright information, the glossary, and the index. For some reason I did not think that this would be the job of a copy-editor. For some reason that just did not occur to me. However, I thought wrong. Glancing over copyright information seems relatively easy and so does the index. The glossary is hard. The assignment for this week was editing a glossary. It was so difficult. I cannot totally place why. Maybe it was trying to place it in the right format or pinpoint how to edit the actual definition. Of course writing comments to the author was difficult as well. This is defiantly an element that I need to work on by looking over other glossaries, learning more vocabulary words, and reviewing the formatting.  So essentially, it's another aspect of working as an edit that I need to learn more about.

Comments

Popular Posts